Friday, April 25, 2014

Howell 3-5

This chapter I found so interesting because I feel like true patient care by the doctors is slowly becoming a lost art. I remember when I went to check if I had strep, the nurse smelled my throat swab. I thought it was so bizarre and she saw me looking at her, so she explained how in nursing school in the 70s this was what they were taught. Tests and labwork was expensive and took a lot of time. I feel like this kind of doctor care should be brought back, as I feel like it would actually be much more cost efficient. We spend so much money on tests because of things like malpractice, but I feel like if you have a good knowledge of what you think it is, it is less cost to test for one thing instead of six. It was very interesting to see how doctors had to truly make up the basic care for patients. Things that we look past now, like checking ears or abdominals, seems so routine. But at one time there of course was no routine. Its fascinating to think of how many trials and errors it took to build care up to the standard it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment